2010 was a hell of a year, and to be honest, I'm glad it's over.
I realise that New Years is an arbitrary date that doesn't really have any effect on its own, but I'm taking this week to reflect and to make some changes. I start a new job, and therefore a new, much less ridiculous schedule on January 4th, so that's my D-Day for Self-Improve 2011.
I did have some victories in 2010. Let's start there...
1. I lost 20 lbs. It was difficult and I'm not done yet, but I am extremely proud of what I accomplished, and I'm healthier and happier for it. I even had to buy all new pants!
2. I raised nearly $4500 for Save the Brains in Kevin's memory.
3. I continued sponsoring our foster child in Haiti despite some hairy financial times this year. Her year was infinitely worse than mine could ever be!
4. I got 99% on my Medical Terminology exam, the first exam I've written since 1997. I finished the course with a 96% overall.
5.Through my ongoing health and fertility issues this year I learned a lot about myself and what's important to me. It's been a very long time since I took the time for serious introspection, and being forced to was a blessing (although it's sometimes difficult to remember that).
The biggest thing that brought me down over this past year was a sense of powerlessness - over my health, my fertility, my marriage, my work life/schedule and my finances. This has to stop. I'm taking back the power, when ever and where ever I can. I've already changed my work situation for the better. Here are a few of the other things I hope to accomplish in 2011...
1. Lose 10 more pounds and stay at a healthy weight.
2. Exercise more regularly. Find an activity I like doing, other than yoga.
3. Raise at least $5000 for Save the Brains.
4. Get our finances under control. We won't be able to pay off all our debt this year, but we can come up with a plan and stick to it. This will alleviate an enormous amount of stress.
5. Take the time to paint and craft more, and sell some stuff. I'd really like to actually get a viable online business going by next fall.
6. Cook more. I got Great Chefs Cook Vegan from my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas, and I already have The Artful Vegan, so I plan on making some new fancy dishes. I'm also planning on taking advantage of my slow cooker and making regular hearty dishes on the cheap.
7. Blog more. I totally shit the bed on the last 10 days Vegan MoFo 2010. I tried my best, I really did, but work and school just killed it.
8. Join some classes and meet some new people. Maybe I'll start a meet-up of my own. I went to a Knit n' Sip at a pub in Nanaimo last year that was a lot of fun...
There are a few more things I need to work on, but I'm not ready to put them out into the world yet.
What are your plans for the new year?