05 January 2010

Budgeting = Yuck!



The big New Year's resolution that Kirk and I have been talking about is creating a budget. We are both terrible with money and realise it's time to do something about that.

Although we have a half-decent income, we have lots of debt that just doesn't seem to be paying itself off. Obviously we're wasting a bunch of money each month that could be going into debt-reduction and savings. My task today was to gather up all of our financial information and try to come up with a workable budget and a two year plan to pay off the debts and put some money aside. Ugh!!

I started by downloading some budgeting software. I chose Buddi (despite its stupid name) because it's simple, free, Canadian, and it works on OSX. It's super easy to use, so I set about collecting all of our information (easier said than done - I use three different banks) and plugging in the information. Holy crap! We are wasting SO much money! I was horrified!

Things change today. No more online shopping for me. No more lunches out for Kirk. This will take some adjustment, but it's worth it in the end, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment