06 January 2013

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies (Vegan & Gluten Free)

Kirk's naturopath recently put him on an anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic diet. It's very restrictive, but super-healthy, so we've been trying our best to stick to it. It's going pretty well, and I'll have some new food posts for you soon. But in the meantime, I just have to talk about these cookies...

There's no sugar allowed on this diet, and my sweet tooth has been suffering. So tonight I made it my mission to find a cookie recipe that would be both healthy and satisfying. I found this one. I made some adjustments based on what I have on hand, and the fact that several of the comments complained that they were bland.

My version did not turn out bland. Just the opposite. They are SO good! And only 40 caories each!


Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
(adapted from Skinny Chunky Monkey Cookies)
makes 46 small cookies

3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup carob chips
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1-1/2 tbsp agave nectar
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium sized bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Let stand 10-20 minutes to soften oats. Drop batter by the teaspoon onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-14 minutes.

These are my new favourite cookies!


1 comment: