24 September 2012

This Week in My Kitchen: Lactation Cookies Part 2

The last time I made Lactation Cookies they were super high in calories (and delicious!). I decided this week to make them again and see if I could lower the calorie content without sacrificing taste and nutrition.

Success!

I used stevia powder instead of sugar, 0% Greek yogourt instead of oil, and 1 cup of carob chips instead of 2 of chocolate. They are still delicious, and I cut the calories by more than half. I still have about 12 pounds to lose, so that's pretty important to me at this point.

Here's my recipe, adapted from Major Milk Makin' Cookies from Peaceful Parenting.


Cara's Low-Cal Lactation Cookies

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups oats (I used a mix of oats, flax and bran)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup almond butter
3/4 cup Greek yogourt
3 tbsp brewer's yeast
2 tbsp egg replacer
2/3 cup water
1 tsp stevia powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup carob chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
In a large bowl beat together almond butter, yogourt, brewer's yeast, egg replacer, water, stevia and vanilla until creamy and well blended.
Gradually mix in flour mixture. Add in carob chips.
Place flattened balls of dough on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Makes about 24 cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment