05 December 2009

This Week in My Kitchen: Falafels with Hummus & Greek Salad, Tom Yum Soup, Vegan Thumbprint Cookies

Falafels with Hummus & Greek Salad
Kirk wanted spanakopita for dinner on Wednesday, but I didn't have any phyllo and it takes 24 hours to thaw, so instead I whipped up my own version of the Mediterranean Combo Plate from John's Place, one of my favourite restaurants in Victoria. I made hummus with lots of garlic and lemon (yum!), falafels (from a mix, I'm afraid - but one without chemicals or preservatives), and a fantastic Greek salad with homemade dressing (red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, mustard seeds, salt). Kirk's salad had some crumbled feta and mine had cherry tomatoes. I even found some multigrain pitas, which I brushed with a bit of oil and warmed under the broiler. We were satisfied, and next week I'll make spanakopita.


Tom Yum Soup
I finally made my tom yum soup, and it was yummy. I used veggies I had on hand - quartered baby carrots, canned straw mushrooms and really skinny asparagus. I warmed the broth I made earlier with the veggies (carrots par cooked in the microwave) and added some red curry sauce. I served it over rice noodles and coconut milk with spring onions and chopped cilantro as garnish. It was yummy, but not quite as good as the soup I make with jarred tom yum soup paste. Maybe I need to figure out how to make my own version of the paste, which is all natural, but kinda pricey. The Tom Yum Soup Adventure continues...


 
the ingredients

 

Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Today is Saturday and Kirk is working late. I'm home alone watching an Irish documentary on surfing (yup!), and I decided to make some thumbprint cookies. As someone who has an inexplicable inability to follow recipes, baking is not my strong suit, but cookies are pretty forgiving. I used a recipe from ExtraVeganZa by Laura Matthias, my favourite cookie-baking reference, and they are fantastic. Honestly, anyone who thinks vegan baking has to be bland and heavy should try these cookies! They are so light and crumbly and wonderful. I topped them with LifeSource Strawberry Spread, which I keep on hand expressly for thumbprint cookies.

the ingredients


I use the pestle from my small mortar & pestle to make "thumbprints" in warm cookies


I've eaten so many of them tonight!


Here's a bonus shot of my pantry. I recently invested quite a bit of money into Starfrit Lock n' Lock containers and I love how neat they make the shelves look! I buy a lot of things from the bulk department, since it's less expensive, uses less packaging and I can control exactly how much I'm buying. The airtight containers keep everything fresh and safe from pests like weevils.


FEATURED IN THIS POST:

ExtraVeganZa: Original Recipes from Phoenix Organic Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment