06 August 2010

This Week in My Kitchen: Zucchini Two Ways, Green Onion Pancakes, Grilled Bread

Raw Zucchini Slaw
The recipe I followed for this dish (find it here) called it "Raw Zucchini Alfredo". There's not really anything alfredo about it (which is good - I was never a big fan of cream sauce), so I'm going with the more accurate term "slaw". Now, I did not follow the recipe exactly by any means - I used it more like a guide. I do not have a spiralizer (as much as I would like one, I haven't been able to find it), so I made the zucchini strips using a vegetable peeler. I also, for once, didn't have any cherry tomatoes on hand, so I upped the sun-dried tomato content. For the sauce, I left out the agave, since I didn't have any of that either. Overall, I really liked the dish. It was a great summer meal, although I think I'd prefer it as a side dish next time.

Breaded Zucchini Sticks
One night I was craving fried zucchini sticks like you get in pubs. Well, I suck at frying stuff - I make a mess and nothing turns out the way it should, plus it's pretty unhealthy. So instead I breaded some zucchini with almond milk, panko and spices and baked them in the toaster oven. They turned out great! I served them with ranch dip, cherry tomatoes and chopped bell peppers. A very satisfying dinner!

Green Onion Pancakes
I saw green onion pancakes in the deli counter of the supermarket once, and the concept always stuck with me. One evening I googled it and came up with a bunch of recipes. I decided to try this one. I found the dough very difficult to work with, but the green onion/sesame oil filling was divine! I absolutely love the umami quality of sesame oil. The assembled pancakes turned out a little thicker and denser than I would have liked (a more elastic dough would solve that problem), so I ended up having to bake them after grilling them to get them cooked through. I served them with sauteed veggie sausage, miso gravy and a simple salad with goddess dressing. I really want to perfect those pancakes, because even with them being imperfect, this was a pretty tasty and satisfying meal.

Grilled Bread
Now that we have a barbeque, Kirk and I have been cooking a lot of our meals outside. Everything tastes better grilled, right? It seemed to me that there should be some way of grilling a yeast bread dough, so I set upon googling and found this recipe. Oh my lord, it's fantastic! I've never made risen bread before, but it's super easy, and comes off the grill tasting kind of like a soft pretzel. I've been experimenting with it a bit, and found that a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and unbleached flour works well and suits the tastes of our regular dinner guests. I've also started infusing the olive oil with garlic, which is pretty fabulous. The verdict: grilled bread is the food of the gods.
I'm salivating just looking at this photo...

2 comments:

  1. I love slaw... I am going to try this one Thursday with the girls. I like the air fried zucchini as well. Last time I used almond milk in something hot it curdled. Does this happen often? Or perhaps it just doesn't work nice in coffee. It wasn't off or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had almond milk curdle, but I know with soy milk it depends on the brand whether or not it curdles. For almond milk I use Silk and Almond Breeze with no problems. Let me know how the slaw turns out - it's definitely zucchini season!

    ReplyDelete