17 February 2010

Gung Hay Fat Choy! Chinese New Years in Vancouver

Despite having lived in and around Vancouver for nearly thirteen years, before this year I'd never been to the Chinese New Year parade in Chinatown. I'm not sure how that happened - I love parades!

This year I got to see three different Chinese New Year events, celebrating the dawn of the year of the tiger. On Saturday my mother and I went mall-hopping, and caught two dragon dances! On Sunday morning Kirk and I went to Chinatown and watched the main parade. It was awesome! It was a cacophony of colour and sound. Lots of people were handing out little red envelopes of lucky money (actually gold chocolate loonies). There were musicians, dancers, community groups, cadets and the obligatory corporations and politicians. Before the parade I heard a piper (which is kind of strange), but there were no bagpipers marching in the parade.

Here are some select photos.

 
Anticipation on Pender Street

Kirk waiting for the parade to begin


 

 
Vancouver Fire Fighters' Band

 

 

 

Click below for more photos...


 

 

 

  



 


Keefer Street filled with people after the parade

A video of the dragon dancers at Lougheed Mall in Burnaby

No comments:

Post a Comment