17 February 2010

This Week in My Kitchen: Juicing

With Kirk away tattooing in Saskatoon this week (escaping the olympics), I decided to use my culinary freedom to put my juicer to work. I love fresh juices. I'm aware of all of the arguments against juicing - you're throwing away the fibre, all of the calories come from sugar, blah, blah, blah. If I were to only consume juice for long periods of time, this might concern me. As it is, I just don't enjoy eating fruit as much as I enjoy drinking juice. Case closed.

Vegetable Juice

Tomatoes, carrots, celery, spinach, leftover bean sprouts. The colour was horrid, but it sure tasted good! I drank the first glass as is, and added a pinch of celery salt and a splash of Tabasco to the second glass (so it was kind of like a really healthy virgin bloody mary).

Fruit Juice

Apples, pears, fennel, lemon, ginger. By far my favourite juice! Sweet, tart and rich. I only had enough juice for a glass and a half, so I topped up the second glass with home made peppermint-green tea iced tea. It was fabulous!

Orange Juice

I've learned that juicing citrus is not very economical. From six cara cara oranges and one ruby red grapefruit I got 500 ml of juice. It was really yummy and a beautiful colour, but a bit too expensive for my taste.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. They all sound so good. I'm a big fan of veggie juice. Savory & salty yummer. Also love the drink glass.

    ReplyDelete